Tuesday, June 15, 2010

You just won't believe this.

A few years ago, this bad boy was built halfway between Cincinnati and Dayton.


We just refer to him as "Jesus." As in, ring ring, "Oh hi Dad, yeah, I'm not too far away, just passed Jesus." This guy is H-U-G-E.  And looks like a giant paper mache project.

Until last night.  We had terrible storms - like, go down in the basement storms.  And alas, today, Touchdown  Jesus (also known as Big Butter Jesus) is no more.



THE STATUE WAS STRUCK BY LIGHTENING AND LITERALLY BURNED UP TO ITS FRAME!!!! What are the odds of that?!?

You can read about what happened in the Cincinnati Enquirer.  The statue caused a lot of controversy when it was built because it cost $250,000. Many people argued that there were certainly many people who could have been better helped using that money, which is a fair point.  Jesus did become a landmark though, and it will be strange to drive to my parent's house and not see him. And Twitter was off the hook today with funny jokes about it.  

They're rebuilding, of course. Thank goodness - because a melted Big Butter Jesus just isn't the same...(I know - GROAN! All the jokes today have been that bad!).

4 comments:

  1. OMG that is hilarious and horrible at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cackled when I saw the footage and I'm STILL enjoying the bad jokes about it. My faves?

    Will insurance cover it since lightning is considered an act of god?

    Think he'll resurrect in three days?

    Seriously, they NEVER get old.

    I will miss TD Jesus tho....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I came to your blog via "knock-off-wood"! Great storage bench!

    I saw that story and immediately thought of the verse (Acts 17:24) that says, "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands." Hopefully that church realizes this, but by looking at their building and the monumental Jesus they may have forgotten! Just had to comment. Hilarious happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember driving by that on the way to a softball game in college! My whole team was like, what the heck??

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - thanks for being a wonderful part of my blogging experience!

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...