Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We're officially budgeted.

Last weekend, we had some friends over for dinner. Talk turned to money (not sure how??) and it came out that we were the only couple not on a budget. Oh - and the only couple who had no idea where our money goes each month.

We're fortunate that we aren't carrying any debt.  But - we truly live paycheck to paycheck, and for no reason. We can't figure out where our money goes each month, and that is definitely not a good thing.

So we're officially on a budget. Not a can't-have-anything-you-want sort of budget, but definitely a saving-is-the-most-important-thing budget.  First, we have to get through January, pay off the credit card, and start February off with a clean slate.

Think we can do it? Anyone out there with a budget have any budgeting tricks that might help us be successful??

And because pictures of our budget would be boring, here's some pictures of our cutest dinner party guest:


  1. Well, if my budget experience had to match the cutest face pictures you've posted...I'm probably around pic 2, but I'm trying to get to pic 3 LOL Student loans can be so demoralizing :/

  2. We have never really had a budget, either! We're pretty much cheapskates in general, but still don't really know where our money "goes." Last week, I decided to set up an account on to help us keep track of everything. But I still haven't taken the time to really figure out the site. A lot of people rave about it though. So as a fellow non-budgeter, hat's the only advice I have right now! :)

  3. Have we not talked about budgets!?! IT IS MY FAVORITE THING! I have spreadsheets and templates! Lady--you should know I can hook you all kinds of up!

  4. Don't feel bad. We don't have a budget really either. Unfortunately, because Bud is still in school we do live paycheck to paycheck so that limits what we can spend. I can't wait for him to commission so that we can get a budget in place!

  5. I keep track of every penny that leaves my wallet. (Yeah i crazy). But I know exactly how much I spend every month and how much I save. Any financial advisor will tell you that everyone should save 20% of their income....I only saved 10% last year..but atleast I know where the other 90% went! haha. Good luck!!!! :)

  6. Tara,

    You will love budgeting it takes a couple months and then it will come natural to you. My husband and I did Dave Ramsey and it really helped us get on a budget and we are hooked. I highly recommend checking it out and it should give you some good tips. Best of luck to you.

  7. You should try because it practically sets up your budget for you! Super easy! Good job!

    Becky B.
    Organizing Made Fun

  8. We love having a budget. It is actually really nice to know where all our money goes every month. Good luck!

  9. Budget? What's that? I'm kidding. I'm not great at knowing where every cent goes but I'm a master saver. I would tell you these few tips.
    1.Pay yourself first- as soon as you get paid know exactly how much is going straight to your saving account. And immediately transfer it!!! It's not really a matter of how much at first it's the practice of living with out that amount. You can do it!
    2. Once you have the hang of transferring and before you increase your saving I recommend having a healthy cushion in the bottom of your checking. When I look at my account I automatically subtract the cushion. The idea is that it isn't really there.

    On-line banking keeps me in line. We get paid I transfer our savings and then I subtract all the bills coming out in this pay period. This leaves me with what's left to spend.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Love your blog keep it up. Good luck with your new saving habits!

  10. I didn't budget until Adam and I split up -- I use (as well as a paper budget because I like checking things off!) and skimmed through Dave Ramsey's book (because he's from my hometown). I don't really subscribe to Ramsey's ideas because -- well, I like to splurge every once in a while -- but I've found that mint is a great way to get an overview and keeping track in my notebook helps me feel more accomplished. Good luck!


I love reading your comments - thanks for being a wonderful part of my blogging experience!

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...